Doctor Chip
Doctor Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs practice, surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine, pain

Hi, I feel like Im going to pass out when I walk even

Customer Question

I feel like I'm going to pass out when I walk even one block, I seem to loose some seconds, and my vision seems to miss 1 second of "seeing the environment". This happens at the shops too, I can not stand for too long, and I literally feel like I will have a stroke! My head gets a full feeling, and my eye feels a pull, I get sweaty hands.

I always feel dizzy, from as if I am moving side to side all the time. I am very weak. My Mri of brain and neck came back ok. My CT was also OK. I feel like my eye is little numb and my chin is little numb too near the teeth.

In my head I feel dizzy and I can not think straigh, at times I also feel like I can't speak clearly, and again I'm sensing some slight numbness in my lower jaw, near my teeth. I really would like some answers and hopefully go back to normal so that I can walk and not feel like I'm going to pass out and lose my vision. I am not pregrant. Im 32 female.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Doctor Chip replied 2 years ago.
Did you have and EEG and a cardiology evaluation? Any diagnosis offered by your doctors?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have had the EEG, no diagnosis has been given to explain why I have numbness near teeth and left eye ( or why I see the pulse in my left eye)

or why I'm always dizzy.

No explanation of why I'm feeling dizzy from side to side has been given to me. My balance tests have been normal.

What worries me is that nobody is giving me an explanation as to why I am so weak, and dizzy, I feel like my environment around me is not "straight" and also when I look at objects they shake a little, for example when I sit in the waiting room, the blinds look like they "shake"

Were migraines or variants of migraines considered? Did you have the arteries of the brain studied with an MRI angiogram?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I never had an MRI angiogram.

I had the MRI and CT was ok, but it does not show arteries well I guess, does it? One doctor told me she was sure I am having migraines, but I have no headaches, but she still said I have migraines.

I dont know how to convince my neurologist to have an MRI angiogram, I though it was an in hospital procedure where they go through the groin etc? Is it not? If it is helpful then and can be ordered by a specialist then I'd be happy to have it, I'm not sure how to ask her, my neurologist, what indicators to give her, she is reserved somewhat, but I really need to know what is going on, I have things shake a little and its very disturbing...just looking at the cup and next to it the string ( black) in color is shaking, and the black color goes away and comes back as if it "dissapears" and then comes back ( the black cord dissapears and comes back)

Was the medication you referred to above the only one tried? An MRA is not an invasive test like a true angiogram where a catheter is placed in an artery. And migraine variants often have no headache involved--it's the "aura" of the migraine without the headache occurring later.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

One doctor asked me if I "smell" something or "hear things" to find out if I have this "aura" but I did not experience any smell or taste before or after dizziness.

how does the aura feel?

I tried somnomigram or something like that and it did not help. The only time I felt no dizziness at all was when I woke up from endoscopy in the hospital, they had me sedated and on oxygen, when I woke up I said to my doctor "I'm not dizzy!" my mind is totally clear! and it was. It went back to dizziness after about day. I'm not sure if this helps. I know a nice psychiatrist, he did the MRI, I am not sure if he would be allowed to do an MRI angiogram though, he would order one, just does not know what to look for, nobody has given me a name for this dizziness and vision going black to dissapearing, I've asked the doctor and it was said my balance tests were normal.

I am not sure what MRI angiogram would look for, or what they need to put before the ? question mark etc, what problem this is called, I even feel silly saying things "dissapear" slightly, it sounds so strange, and I dont know what this is, dizziness is awful.

And for the most part, many of your symptoms are only on the left side?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Apologies for late reply, the timezone it was 2.30 at night and I snoozed off to sleep.

The eye is on the left ( that I can sense the pulse in) , and there is very light sense of numbness also on my left arm ( it is very very light) , so yes the left eye, and the left arm feel very very tiny bit numbish, and so is the bottom of my jaw, very small tiny bit of numbness on bottom teeth. Very slight.

OK-- that would all be consistent with a migraine aura.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not sure how the numbness of the hand, eye, and bottom of the teeth relates to migraine aura can you expand please?

OK. Are you aware of the symptoms of a stroke?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I am not aware of the symptoms of a stroke.

Are you saying I may have had one?

I have slight numbness in my left arm, and left side of face, (it is very very very slight)

Slow down--not saying this is a stroke. But do you understand that sometimes the symptoms of a stroke like numbness in a certain area can be due to a drop in the blood supply to a certain area of the brain?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I can see that drop of blood supply to certain areas of the brain can cause numbness.

Was this the reason you recommended/asked that MRA is done to check out the blood supply to my brain?

That would be just to check for aneurysms, but the point about the blood flow and the stroke is that the aura of a migraine--the wavy lines or spots or funny taste or the numbness--is from the arteries constricting for a time, reducting the blood flow to a portion of the brain. The headache is from a rebound phenomenon--the arteries over dilate and the extra blood flow causes pain. A variant migraine is the aura without the rebound headache.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If I am having migraines with aura, would this explain why I am feeling dizzy? But I feel dizzy every single day? And could you please tell me if having the MRA would prove to doctors that I have migraines with aura?

How are Migraines with Aura treated ( with what drugs)? Can these visual symptoms ever go away?

The dizziness--has it been diagnosed as simple vertigo and how has it been treated?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have been told that I have migraines, and becasue of this I am dizzy, it has not been treated successfull at all, I was given a migraine preventative but its not gone away.

I still do not understand why I have the numbness slight at the bottom of my teeth and feel extremely weak. And dizzy.

That could all be explained as a migraine aura. That said, the dizziness could be vertigo from an inner ear inflammation. I suggest you see a physiatrist or a doctor of osteopathy for cervicocranial adjustments--these may well help all the problems.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Doctor I am confused over the abover and could you please help me understand your answer, in simple terms these are the areas I am not clear about:

1) Why did you ask about the MRA, do you think it I need to have an MRA?

2) Why did you speak of a stroke, do you think I may have had one or I am in danger of having one, and because of this you suggest the MRA?

3) If I see osteopath for cervicocranial adjustment, what should I tell him? What is the reason to have the cervicocranial adjustment, to relieve the dizziness or numbness?

4) are there any blood tests that can find the cause of numbness in my left arm, and chin ( very very slight numbeness)

Sorry if I was unclear. I mentioned stroke only to show that a change in blood flow to a part of the brain can cause certain symptoms and that a migraine aura can cause the same symptoms because the blood flow to that part of the brain is temporarily lessened. That doesn't mean that someone who has the aura of a migraine--even though it simulates stroke-like symptoms--is going to have a stroke. The MRA would just be for completeness to make sure you don't have an aneurysm. The adjustments would be to alleviate the dizziness. No blood tests, but a nerve condtuction study could evaluate the arm numbness.