healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

What could cause muscle tightening and pain in the muscles

What could cause muscle tightening and pain in the muscles along with the inability to get the words out, the speech is garbled? This goes away with a dose of Requip and Xanax.
Hello and thank you for your question. '
How long has this been going on?
How often does it happen?
Which muscles tighten up?
Do you have any other medical problems?
What are all the medications yo are taking?
Also, what tests have youhad to work with up?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have Willis Ekbom disease that is progressing. This can be painful as well. This other problem have been going on for, I would guess about 2 years and is also getting worse. This can happen anywhere from once in a month to 2-3 times in a week. This affects my whole body, my husband says it looks like I'm being tazed. Other medical problems....besides what is already mentioned.....arthritis in my right shoulder and right hand, also my left leg from the calf down to the foot will swell up daily with no known cause. All labs are normal, my b/p in within normal limits. My current meds are 2mg Requip 3x daily and 0.5mg Xanax up to 3x daily as needed. I don't take the Xanax everyday.
First thing I want to say is that Willis Ekbom disease or restless legs syndrome can have many different causes; one of the most common and treatable is iron deficiency anemia. So I hope they screeen you for that. the most sensitive test is body's iron stores (Ferritn level). They should also check your vitamin B12 levels. As far as the mystery symptoms, it's definitely a mystery at this point. I would want to approach this from 2 directions . 1) Rule out a primary neuromuscular disorder A) They should check all your body electrolytes Magnesium, potassium, calcium, phosphate etc, as an abnormal level of these can sometimes cause muscle spasms and involuntary muscle contractions (this is called tetany) B) Do a needle test called EMG/NCV to test the health of your muscles and nerves 2) If above is negative I would rule out seizures (In which case they should do an EEG)