healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

I am experiencing numbness in my left thigh and slight numbness

I am experiencing numbness in my left thigh and slight numbness or tinglimng on the inside of my left arm and hand. Should I get a CTscan?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  healthydoc replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. THe numbness in he thigh and arm/hand may be unrelated as the nerved innervating the arm originate in the neck and the nerves innervating the thigh originate in the lower back. Nonetheless the best exams to figure this out may be a nerve conduction study (EMG/NCV) and potentially and MRI of the neck (C-spine) and lower back (L-spine). A cat scan will not give as much detailas an MRI.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had a tmepral lobe tumor removed about a year ago and the same one about 7 years ago. The later was the same tumor which had not be completely removed apparently. Both were benign meningioma.
With the first tumor, my symptom was numbness in the hand and left side of face. Just wondering if this current problem could be related to any kind of stroke symtom?
Thank you for the additional details. It's a little unusual to have the thigh and arm numbness go together (Face and arm like you had the 1st time is much more likely because of the anatomy of the brain). Also, this is not very consistent with a stroke. However, considering your history of surgeries for masses causing neurological symptoms in the past an MRI fo the brain is not at all unreasonable. I would do MRI over CT.
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board Certified U.S. Neurologist