Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine

Calcium deposits on the brain lead to what symptoms. Right

Calcium deposits on the brain lead to what symptoms. Right now I have a mild, yet on-going headache. The headaches have lasted four weeks. Would drugs cause this? Would chemotherapy (twice) contribute to this? Would anti-depressant drugs cause this? Would a diet high in protein contribute to this.

I would like to prepare myself and my family for the future. I read something that suggested a there could be a link with a heart attack-, a link with eye sight loss-, a link with cancer in the brain on the meninigi (?), a link with dimentia, and deteriorization of the motor system. I am wondering where I can read more. I appreciate all input. I will be having an MRI and . . . . I do best with the facts; it calms me and helps me plan better. The more I read, the more I know, the better I can handle the situation. I appreciate your offer of help. Thank you.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 5 years ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer!

I am an American Board Certified Neurologist (studied & worked in USA). I am familiar with the condition that you have described and glad to help you with your questions and concerns.

Calcification in the brain may occur in association with myriad medical and neurological conditions. Not all of them are serious in nature.

Some of them are idiopathic (cause not found). While cause is found or not some are non progressive while others are progressive.

The chemotherapeutic or antidepressant drugs are unlikely to cause this, not the protein rich diet ether.

I guess you had a CT of the brain and now they will arrange for MRI it seems. After the MRI we will get a final report then only it is prudent to analyze what is the most likely cause for the calcification. This is because there are so many causes and CT and MRI will help to narrow down these possibilities to either only one, or only few conditions.

You will most likely require blood calcium estimation and thyroid/ parathyroid gland investigations, because thyroid/parathyroid gland abnormalities too can cause this. Your family Dr or an endocrinologist can arrange for these tests. If such causes are found you will be treated and further calcification can be prevented. Also avoid taking any calcium supplements if you are on them already and also avoid consuming calcium rich food stuff as much as possible. Please go through this link for a list of such food stuff.

Please also go through these couple of below articles to get some familiarity with this condition (please do not start thinking you might have some serious conditions, although it is possible but brain calcification is not always serious); (mainly go through the discussion part)'s_syndrome (this is an example of brain calcification, somewhat commonly seen in adults)

The further investigations & interventions in your case will depend upon the MRI (and CT) findings. If you want me to go through your films you may upload them here at this site and I will give my opinion too on the CT & MRI findings. When the films are ready and available in the computer or disc please let me know I will send you the technical details on how to upload them.

Unless your eye symptoms are severe and bothering you a lot then better not to start any symptomatic treatments now, it is better to wait until the final diagnosis.

These are my opinions & recommendations based on the details provided, and if you are seeking a more elaborative discussion or have additional concerns then please ask any number of questions until you clarify all your doubts.

All the Best!

Best Regards,

Dr Sathya.