Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine

my toes,feet,fingers hands tingle. feels like bugs are crawling

my toes,feet,fingers hands tingle. feels like bugs are crawling up my legs.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 5 years ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer!

I am an American Board Certified Neurologist (studied & worked in USA). I am familiar with the condition that you have described and glad to help you with your questions and concerns.

It sounds like you may be developing what we call as neuropathy (a type of nerve damage) diffusely involving the legs & hands.

You need to undergo a test called as EMG/ Nerve Conduction Study to further explore this possibility. The test will provide us more details on what kind of neuropathy and its severity and many other relevant details. If the EMG test reveals neuropathy then you may also require additional investigations like certain blood tests to identify the cause for neuropathy, but that decision only can be done after the EMG test.

If you have lot of neck and/or back pain then these symptoms may be secondary to pinched spinal nerves too. The same EMG test mentioned above will also detect pinched nerves (if you have any) also in that case an MRI of the spine is also necessary.

If these symptoms started rapidly, within the past 1 or 2 days then I advise you to go to the ER today itself for a thorough clinical examination as well as to facilitate the above mentioned investigations. If these symptoms are going on for several days or even more than that then no need to go to the ER rather you may see a clinic-neurologist as soon as possible in the next few days.

For the management of your symptoms you may try Cap Gabapentin 100 mg twice daily. The dose can be increased gradually as necessary and as tolerated. More definitive treatments will be started later based upon your neurological examination & investigation findings.

These are my opinions & recommendations based on the details provided, and if you are seeking a more elaborative discussion or have additional concerns then please ask any number of questions until you clarify all your doubts.

All the Best!

Best Regards,

Dr Sathya.