RH
RH, Board Certified Neurologist
Experience:  Expert in various areas of Neurology
49231481

I have a cold feeling in the calf of my leg but its not cold

Customer Question

I have a cold feeling in the calf of my leg but it's not cold to the touch. It also has an uncomfortable feeling, a little dull pain. Hard to explain, but it's very bothersome mostly when I relax at night. When I'm walking around, it doesn't seem to bother me, only when I sit or lay down. I saw my regular physician (Internal medicine) doctor and he had never heard of it. I can't stand it much longer and don't know what type of doctor I should see. Could you help me? Thank you, Arthur
Category: Neurology
Expert:  RH replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

This is likely Restless Legs syndrome. I would recommend seeing a neurologist who can prescribe you medication to alleviate these symptoms. Two medications used for this syndrome are Mirapex or Requip and prior to starting these medications, Iron level in the blood is tested as sometimes iron deficiency can also cause restless legs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When you say restless legs, does that mean both legs should have this? In my case, it's only my left leg that gives me the problem. I have read about restless legs syndrome, but never saw anything about having a cold feeling inside. Do you still think it is this problem?
Expert:  RH replied 3 years ago.
You are right, generally both legs are involved in restless legs - you had not mentioned it was only the left earlier. If it is the left calf only with the feeling you describe, then it can be due S1 nerve root irritation (S1 radiculitis) in the lower spine (you dont need to have low back pain with this). The best test to differentiate whether it is a muscle problem, a peripheral nerve problem, or a nerve root problem, is EMG/NCS which the neurologist can do for you and depending on the diagnosis, the treatment can be pursued.
RH, Board Certified Neurologist
Experience: Expert in various areas of Neurology
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have one more question. I had shingles a couple of years back on my left side of the middle area of my body, a really bad case of them. This problem came right after the shingles had finally gone away. A lot of people have said they get some sort of nerve damage from shingles. Could this have anything to do with the shingles? Or, do you have nerve damage only in the area in which it occurred? And if so, is there really any cure for it?
Expert:  RH replied 3 years ago.
Generally speaking if it was your thoracic spine area where the shingles occurred then it has nothing to do with your current complaint. If it was your lower back (lumbosacral region) then yes irritation of the S1 nerve root where the shingles lesions were can present like this.