Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

I have a pins and needles sensation in my shoulder area. The

I have a pins and needles sensation in my shoulder area. The sensation is intermittent and seems related to shoulder position. What might it be? The shoulder area is not painful.
What treatment or investigations are needed?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Do you have neck pain as well?

Do you have weakness in the shoulder?

Is this mostly over the top of the shoulder, and does it go into the upper arm as well?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not aware of neck pain or weakness in shoulder.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Can you describe the pattern of numbness on the shoulder? Front, back? Does it go into the upper arm?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
tingling sensation has been on front, top, and back of shoulder. Sometimes I feel it moving, eg front to top. Upper arm not affected.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.

The fact that those areas are involved with the numbness -- seems to suggest to me that the issue is with a specific nerve.

This nerve is often irritated as it comes out of the spine -- the C4 nerve, which can affect the upper front, top, and upper back of the shoulder area. When the nerve gets irritated, it generally causes numbness (pins and needles). If it becomes more irritated, pain can develop, then weakness.

Generally, this should improve over time, but it should it not, then having your doctor examine the area would be best, XXXXX XXXXX diagnosis may require further testing, like a MRI.