Dr. F
Dr. F, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Neurosurgeon with more than 20 years experience in practice and teaching.
39941098

Does a cervical fusion (c5-c6, 15 yrs ago) impact how a home

Does a cervical fusion (c5-c6, 15 yrs ago) impact how a home cervical traction unit (Saunders) should be used?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. F replied 6 years ago.

Dr. F :

Hi, I am a Neurosurgeon and will do my best to answer your question

Dr. F :

I would like to know something more about the situation. Did your surgery include any type of implant such as a plate with screws? Please describe the traction unit, and how you have been instructed to use it? Tell me what symptoms you are trying to treat?

Customer :

No hardware in my neck. Symptoms are neck ache and head ache up the back of my neck. Have a deteriorated, bulging disc underneath the fusion (C7).Have not been instructed to use it. Trying to figure out if a PT can tell me or if I have to see a neurologist.

Customer :

It's a Saunders home use floor unit.

Customer :

I was gonna start w/5lbs of pressure and increase up to 10.

Dr. F :

Traction may not help the symptoms you describe, but it the low weight should be safe. If you we having arm pain, numbness or tinging, the traction may help give a little room for the nerve until the problem resolved. Neck ache and headache are much less likely to be from compression, but the traction may help to stretch and relax your muscles. BotXXXXX XXXXXne: it is safe at low weight, and may help. I hope that helps

Dr. F :

Thank you for the opportunity to help. To give credit for time and effort, please press the ACCEPT button. I will still answer additional questions.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is appreciated.

This answer is for information only.