Dr. F
Dr. F, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Neurosurgeon with more than 20 years experience in practice and teaching.

Need to talk with TBI specialist

<p>Need to talk with TBI specialist - HELLO....  I'll change my approach here.  Pt was @ infant stage 12/1, to date is at ~2 y/o.  Due to VA team approach & lack of communication between dr/pt/ot/speech & nursing the pt is basically kept sedated due to outbursts.  It seems that no one is looking at the <strong><em>person</em></strong>.  When talking w/family & reading postings in the room I discovered the pt wears glasses regularly (think thats why she seems off when going to touch something?), has worked graveyard her entire adult life (hmm... may be why she's awake all night & gets combative when being put to bed).  BotXXXXX XXXXXne here, what can I do to help?  What should I be advocating for & with whom.  I can see in her eyes that she's in there somewhere but it seems the professionals are just waiting for an opening somewhere to put her in "storage".   Are there any trials she could participate in or grants available for better care?  Also, what can I do therapy wise myself <strong>today</strong>, that will help.  Nerf balls? Crayons? Touch? What????   </p><p>Thanks - truly!</p>
Hi Customer,

The outbursts and agitation are a good sign , and indicate that our friend is on the recovery road.

I will look for centers and trials.
Your instincts as to ways to help are correct. Agitation at night is common, and not limited to "night owls". Treatment to help sleep is good, and will allow for better participation id daytime programs.
Your contributions may include reading to the person, getting pictures of known favorite places and people, and using them to review and stimulate memory. Music is very helpful. objects such as balls and crayons may have a role to play depending on the persons physical limitations.
Getting out of the "hospital setting" for a while is also a good way to aid recovery. Putting glasses on a person who needs them is a basic first step

I hope that helps