CaliforniaMD
CaliforniaMD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  board certified neurologist
20597193

When i laugh pretty hard the lower back of my head hurts until

Customer Question

When i laugh pretty hard the lower back of my head hurts until i stop laughing.Why...?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  CaliforniaMD replied 5 years ago.

hi,

considering your history of working out, neck workouts, etc., the neck pain is probably due to a bulging disc or degenerative changes and muscle strain associated with hard laughter.

bony changes in the vertebrae of the neck and spine can begin occuring as early as 30s in some people or even earlier.

brain masses can be associated with headaches upon increased intracranial pressure such as with bearing down, laughing, straining and it does not seem from your description like that's the case.

i would consider evaluation by a neurologist and perhaps a cervical spine mri if justified by exam.

all the best.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not had this feeling in the last year or I don't think its a bulging disc because i would think that when i started working out my neck a year ago that it would of made the pain worse. It's like it may of went away. Do you think one symptoms of Chiari

it doesn't sound like it.

also, chiari doesn't just become asymptomatic and often, symptoms get worse over time.

it's most likely axial / deep neck muscle strain and discs can slip back in if it's a small bulge.

it doesn't sound like it.