Dr. F
Dr. F, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Neurosurgeon with more than 20 years experience in practice and teaching.
39941098

Hello i have just come out of hospital after suffering a mini

Customer Question

Hello i have just come out of hospital after suffering a mini stroke but i am not sure it is i will give you some information
i am 58 weigh 16 stone have hypertension and high choletrol is 8.
i am on medication for 18 years for hypertension and it has been hard to control.
on sunday i woke up and felt tired and weak not having slept i had slurred speech and could not type or write properly. i thought it was just tiredness on monday morning i went to my doctor he took my blood pressure it was 198/100 and he did some tests and said he thinks i had a mini stroke and called ambulance. i had a ct scan in hospital and it is clear dr noticed heart murmur and i had an echo and it is normal i am to go back for mri and neck scan. i am at home feeling much better but my handwriting still not as good.
and my legs ache i am on aspirin also. is it really a mini stroke or something else
thanks
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. F replied 6 years ago.

Dr. F :

Welcome to JustAnswer I am a neurospecialis and will try to answer your question

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have not recieved a reslonse from any expert
Expert:  Dr. F replied 6 years ago.
sorry, I have been called away, but will complete your answer as soon as I can
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT OTHER INFORMATION YOU NEED TO ANSWER

THANKS

Expert:  Dr. F replied 6 years ago.
sorry, I will get back to you as soon as I can, basically I need to know about other medical problems
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the only other medical problem i have is acid reflux and hiatus hernia
Expert:  Dr. F replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your patience.

It is likely that you did have a stroke, and I am glad to see that you are on aspirin. You had a partial recovery of function, with improvement in your speech and typing. The fact that you still have some difficulties would go along with a stroke. You are likely to continue to improve with therapy.

Your high blood pressure and high cholesterol make the risk of a stroke high. It is imperative that you get the MRI to confirm that you have had a stroke, and not another problem like a tumor. The CT scan can miss strokes, especially if they a re relatively small, and the scan is done soon after the problem starts.

It is VERY important that you follow up , and work with your Doctor. The next stroke may be more permanent and more serious, and you may not recover. Be diligent in getting control of your blood pressure, and continue with the aspirin.

Best wishes for improving health.

I hope that helps, and look forward to follow-up questions you may have

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks does this mean that if mri scan is clear i did not have a stroke
Expert:  Dr. F replied 6 years ago.

It much depends on the MRI scan. A poorly done, incomplete , or artifact laden scan can miss a stroke that is present.

A carefully done, high resolution scan with sequences to look for brain blood flow and injury should pick up a stroke.