DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years

My husband has a condition called transverse myelitis,so his

My husband has a condition called transverse myelitis,so his feet feel numb,he also has plantar fasciitis, he is not a diabetic.

He was told by a foot doctor to do stretching for his left foot with plantar fasciitis,he has and been wearing a walking boot for over a month, has inserts for his shoes. He still has real pain on his left foot. He can run,walk after he stops the walking or running then it hurts all over again.

He has been off work since July because of his transverse myelitis. He has to go back to work this week. He is a meat cutter, has to be on his feet for 8 hours.

Can the nerves in the foot be part of reason his plantar fasciitis won't get better?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 6 years ago.
These are really separate issues if he really has plantar fasciitis. There can often be a heel spur that will keep the fasciitis from clearing up.
I would ask for an x ray to rule this out, as it would require different inserts.
Pain responses are often diminished due to myelitis so I suspect this is with the foot.

Additional physical therapy might also be helpful
The best doc to assess and prescribe this would be a physiatrist, and MD who is a doctor of physical medicine and rehabilitation.
Plantar fascitis can be difficult to clear up and take time.
Good luck

Please click ACCEPT to give answer credit. Ask more if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What else can be done for the transverse myelitis?

My husband still feels numbness in his feet and legs and around his stomach. Says he feels like someone wrapped bubble wrap around him.

Complains sometimes his tail bone also hurts.

The neurologist he saw just kept telling him it took time, could be up to 2 yrs. and nothing could really help in the healing.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sorry I failed to mention he still has problems controlling his urinating.

Kind of like a diabetic, his has an urge to pee and has to go right away.

When he was in the hospital, he had to hold on to things to walk, kind of like a drunk person, no coordination, had to urinate right away. Then he was given the steroid injections and he started healing up pretty quick.