Brainmaster, Board Certified MD
Experience:  ABPN certified. 6 years of outpatient general neurology practice experience. No malpractice cases

i have spinal stenosis with facet hypertrophy in my lumbar

i have spinal stenosis with facet hypertrophy in my lumbar region. I have an appointment with the spine surgeon at stanford next week. I had an over the phone consultation with the back institute. They told me surgeons will be more than happy to cut into my back(laminectomy with possible fusion) Back institute claims to have neurosurgeon of 30 yrs that will perform with an instrument the size of a cocktail stirrer. They do not believe in cutting any bones for stenosis and they have 95% succes rate with my situation by taking out some of the bulging disc rather than a laminectomy. what do you think?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Brainmaster replied 6 years ago.

Minimally invasive spinal surgery is the future for this type of conditions - the scar is minimal the recovery time is short. The only issue is HOW MANY LAVELS ARE INVOLVED. if it single or 2 level procedure - great, but if it more diffused and severe - one may need more extensive approach involving laminectomy and full disc replacement rather than partial discectomy.

all of these neurosurgical interventions are on "case by case" basis and are fully customizable to individual differences on the MRI and physical exam. Other than that - the promise sounds good

good luck

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They don't seem to have any contracts with an insurance carrier. Would that be warning sign? What is the best website to check out the surgeon and the surgery center?

no contracts means out of network - you meet your out of network deductible and then they take you (may run couple of thousands depending on your coverage)

GO on their website - pick a doc then check with Office of professions for license violations and malpractice (public records) - just need to do some googling. Here in NY we have - you should have something like that in your state.

good luck