ChildMuscleNerve
ChildMuscleNerve, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Child Neurologist. Training in neuromuscular disorders. Over 12 years experience
39938162

my son is 6 month old and has been head shaking for the last

Customer Question

my son is 6 month old and has been head shaking for the last two weeks. He first did this like two months ago and I too him to pediatrics office and he had a ear infection, they gave antibiotics the first never worked and then gave second round of antibiotics and the shaking of the head stopped. Then last week he started again, before he would do it when lying only, now he does it when eating in highchair, in stroller car seat and laying. But once you get his attention he stops. He has reached all his milestones for a 6 month old he is alert babbles and smiles alot. Took him 2 neurologist they this it is a habit, I am in the process of getting a eeg for him and then ct scan or mri. Do myou think it is infant spasms or seizes
Category: Neurology
Expert:  ChildMuscleNerve replied 4 years ago.

It is very unlikely these are seizures, especially infantile spasms. Head shaking is often a behavioral issue, as the neurologists have suggested. If they were seizures you would not be able to stop them by getting his attention. Kids with infantile spasms start regressing developmentally when the spasms begin.

Another possibility is something called spasms nutans, which can show up around this time, but is associated with a head tilt and shaking of the eyes, called nystagmus. I would assume at least one of the two neurologists would have picked this up if it were present. Spasms nutans and other behaviors often go away over time and are typically benign. As long as he is developing normal there isn't much to worry about.

ChildMuscleNerve, Neurologist (MD)
Experience: Board Certified Child Neurologist. Training in neuromuscular disorders. Over 12 years experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
but he seems to be doing it quite alot the head shaking, he does it side to side

Behaviors can occur very frequently throughout the day. If they were seizures, the more he would do it, the more "out of it" he would get since the brain starts shutting down to recuperate after seizures. So, if he is doing it quiet a bit, the most likely diagnosis is behavioral, but he should be evaluated for spasms nutans as I mention above. This is a benign condition which he will grow out of any way. It is a very good sign that he is making normal development with such frequent episodes since it shows that it is not something bad.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. S.

ChildMuscleNerve, Neurologist (MD)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So you think I have nothing to worry about. How long before he should stop doing it. Well today he went for a eeg waiting for results.

I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Development is the best sign of how good or bad something is behaviorally. I will assume the EEG will be normal, but an easy test to get to help you feel assured as well.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you.

Dr. S.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you think I should go ahead with a mri or ct scan if the egg is normal.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
should he grow out of the behaviour before he is a year old or it could be longer

Given that he would need anesthesia to get a good scan, and many things can be missed on an MRI scan between 6 months and 18 months, due to the water content of the brain, if he is doing well developmentally and the EEG is normal, I would hold off on getting the MRI scan. If anything changes you can always get one. If there weren't the risk of anesthesia attached to getting one, I would be all for it since it is benign, as far as we know.

Typically kids grow out of these behaviors between the ages of 1 and 2 years, but some have gone on as long as through age 3. I can definitely appreciate your concern since my daughter used to bring her hands up in fists, shake them and screech for apparently no reason. Since she was doing so well developmentally, I watched her and she grew out of that behavior around a year of age. It seems like a long way to wait, but believe me, it will be here before you know it!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thankyou for youhelp I feel much better but will feel better once I get the eeg results, my son is such ahappy and social baby. Just seing hi shaking his head worry me
Your very welcome. Please let me know if there are any other questions once you get the EEG results.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
he seems to shake is head more while seeing a fan go round is that anything to worry about, how many days would it take for a doctot to read the eeg results , I had the eeg in the doctors office. So if there was something bad with the eeg in the morning, I would of heard something back from the docotr today

Typically EEGs are read the day they are done or the day after. If there is something abnormal on an EEG, the person reading it usually calls the referring doctor that day.

The spinning fan issue can be one of two things. First, the spinning sets off a normal response called optokinetic nystagmus. It's yours eyes constantly refocusing on a blade as it goes around. You can even see some adults bob their head while looking at a fan. Another possibility is these spells are seizures that are set off by flashing lights (photic induced seizures). These are extremely rare, but will be picked up the EEG assuming they flashed a strobe light in his eyes during the EEG.

I am happy to keep answering questions for you, but would ask that you accept my answer.

Thank you,

Dr. S.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My son had a eeg done yesterday at the doctors office he is 6 month old i?

called the office to see when to get the results they said by friday now tonight I missed the doctors tried to call me on my cell he said I an calling you back I try to call you tomorrow, if the results are bad would he say in the message to call him back.. Would he leave a message and say the results were normal or would he still want to talk to me
He may not say either way, good or bad, what the results are, so I wouldn't read anything into that. He probably just wants to discuss what the results mean.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well got my eeg result they were normal i am getting a ct scan for my son on friday
I hope all goes well. Let me know if the CT finds something and you need help understanding what it shows.