Brainmaster, Board Certified MD
Experience:  ABPN certified. 6 years of outpatient general neurology practice experience. No malpractice cases

Is anyone familiar with post viral syndromes like post viral

Is anyone familiar with post viral syndromes like post viral gastroparesis and post viral dyspepsia? I have the later following a 24 hour stomach bug and am still extremely ill 9+ months later. I've been told there may be post viral nerve damage to the gut which can take a year or so to heal. Do you have any insights to this type of post viral nerve damge? Is it genetic or random? Do nerves heal? I am a 27 year old male who was very healthy before the stomach bug back in October.
Thank you.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Brainmaster replied 6 years ago.

The only case that "springs" in my memory - is GBS - on occasions GBS can cause "autonomic" dysfunction and not only motor dysfunction.

you need to get to neurologist and discuss this case in addition to neurological exam - you may benefit from IVIG.

There was a medicine in USA called propulsid - it may still be available in Canada or Europe - it may help out.........

good health

Edited by Brainmaster on 8/3/2010 at 9:31 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can you please tell me what IVIG is? I have had a full neurological workup and was told to wait and see. Do nerves actually heal over time?
IVIG is intravenous immunoglobulin - it is "pulled" plasma with antibodies from many different individuals - it is infused in you in an attempt to decrease your immune system response to a "trigger" in your case post viral exaggerated immune response which attacked and killed virus and then had nothing else to kill - so it decided to go after your nerves.........

Edited by Brainmaster on 8/3/2010 at 9:49 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Do the nerves ever recover?

it really depends on the degree of damage, unfortunately, there is not objective way to evaluate it. Peripheral nerves may recover, but at the slow rate - about 1inch per month, autonomic nerves are different and I do not want you to have unrealistic expectations.....

if you look at GBS in general - if it recovers fully - it would take anywhere between 1 month to 1 year, after that the condition becomes CIDP (chronic) - and treated with above mentioned infusions.