Brainmaster
Brainmaster, Board Certified MD
Experience:  ABPN certified. 6 years of outpatient general neurology practice experience. No malpractice cases
41544929

I was rear ended in an auto accident. My MRI showed the following

I was rear ended in an auto accident. My MRI showed the following: L4-5 There is mild disc dessication. There is left paracentral and left neural foranimal 3-4mm broad based disc protrusion. There is no central canal or right neural foranimal narrowing. There is moderate left lateral recess and proximal left neural foranimal narrowing.

L5-S1 There is mild disc dessication. There is left neural foranimal 6mm disc protrusion and small focus of annular fissure with moderate left neural foranimal narrowing. There is no central canal narrowing. There is no right neural foranimal narrowing.

Do any of the above injuries fall into the category of Lumber Spinal Stenosis?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Brainmaster replied 6 years ago.

hi

anything that would make the spinal canal narrow will qualify for "stenosis" (disks, arthritis, joint facet hypertrophy, etc...)

but your MRI should actually be interpreted as multilevel disc disease with some degree of spinal narrowing and foraminal narrowing (opening through which nerves come out) in respective levels.

P.S. i do not think this was caused by MVA. these changes are usually chronic in nature but may be exacerbated by recent trauma (MVA) unless you have MRI done just before the MVA and after - you can not claim these changes has resulted from MVA

good luck

Brainmaster

Edited by Brainmaster on 7/26/2010 at 6:11 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did not have back or leg pain prior to my accident. Wouldn't that indicate that my herniations were caused by the trauma of being rear ended at the rate of 60 mph? I don't have problems with my other discs, only those two. The rest are normal.

unfortunately it does not mean that. Millions of "normal" people without pain, or numbness who have MRI similar to what you have. opposite works as well - lots of people who is in pain who's MRI is completely normal.