ChildMuscleNerve, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified Child Neurologist. Training in neuromuscular disorders. Over 12 years experience

I want to find ut more about Fetal Valproic effects

There is a 3-fold increase in major congenital malformations above the general population associated with use of valproic acid in early pregnancy. The most common are neural tube defects, such as spina bifida, but also include abnormalities of the arms and/or legs and heart defects.

There is also a higher risk of cognitive deficits when valproic acid is used in early pregnancy, especially at high doses.  The most obvious effect is on verbal intelligence.

I hope that answers your question.  If not, please let me know what further informatinon I can provide for you.

Dr. S.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What you just told me, I found on Med MD, can they function out in the real world, from what I see, I'm not sure? Can they handle college or are they wasting money? Is there anything I can do to help him make it?

The disability can range from mild to severe, so each person is affected by this differently. However, most require some support to function in the real world. Depending on his IQ, some can handle community college, usually with special services provided by the disabled student's office, such as reduced class load, extra time for tests, tutors or other aide to help with home work. Some are allowed to use computers for testing if handwriting is difficult or takes too much energy. Some of my patients who have difficulty getting to class due to their disability have been able to take class through a web cam.

My advice would be to contact the local college's disabled students office and speak with someone there as to what specific needs your nephew would have and if those could be provided by the university. In most cases they can provide a significant amount of services.

I hope that provides the information you are looking for. Please let me know if there is anything further I can answer for you.

Edited by ChildMuscleNerve on 7/8/2010 at 10:16 PM EST