Dr. F
Dr. F, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Neurosurgeon with more than 20 years experience in practice and teaching.

Is it true that an acute sense of smell can be a symptom of

Is it true that an acute sense of smell can be a symptom of a brain tumour? I have always had a strong sense of smell, but lately I'm finding my nose is becoming more and more sensitive and smells that previously I might not have noticed, or that wouldn't have bothered me, are noticeable and in some cases, obnoxious.

This is not a joke question, I promise, although l am too embarrassed to ask my regular doctor.
Susannah (Sydney, Australia)
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. F replied 6 years ago.
Dear XXXXXnah In Sydney,

Women are generally blessed with a more acute and sensitive olfactory ability than men, which actually peaks in the 30's.

The effect of brain tumors occurs in 2 ways. First, a type of tumor that grows on top of the olfactory nerve can result in the loss of the ability to smell.

Second, a tumor in the temporal lobe can cause seizures, whose aura or warning is a (usually) noxious odor.

In short, you should be reassured that your sensitivity to odor is more normal than not, and almost certainly not a sign of a brain tumor.
I hope that helps you.

Thank you for the opportunity to help you. To give me credit for my time and effort, please press the ACCEPT button for this answer. After that, I will still be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

This answer is for information only. It cannot and should not be substituted for or the recommendation of your doctor