Ask Dr. Sophie :: Neurology Your Own Ques...
Dr. Sophie :: Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Neurology, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology, Clinical Neurophysiology :: U of California
19824690

what is a slight flattening of the ventral aspect of the c

Customer Question

what is a slight flattening of the ventral aspect of the cord?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  doctoraha replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for using just answer.

What are your symptoms and since how long?

Is this a report of xray.

Regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have moderate headaches to severe migraine almost every day. I can count on one hand the number of days in the past 5 months that I have gone without a headache/migraine. I also have neck pain/stiffness.
Expert:  doctoraha replied 6 years ago.

I am referring your question to a Neurologist online so that you get a better advise.

Regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thnk you so much. I will await his reponse. An answer in laymen's English would be great.
Expert:  doctoraha replied 6 years ago.
You are welcome
Expert:  Dr. Sophie :: Neurology replied 6 years ago.

Do you have the report with you?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I have the written report.

What you may find in your report are medical terms such as 'osteophytes', 'facet hypertrophy', 'posterior longitudinal ligament' or 'disc bulge / disc protrusion'.

The flattening of the ventral aspect of the spinal cord means that something is pressing against the cord causing it to flatten; this is often due to degenerative spine disease.

In more extreme cases it can cause neurological problems such as weakness.

I susppect your neck pain and stiffness are due to degenerative spine disease and your headaches are cervicogenic -- meaning caused by muscle spasms in your neck.

Now, if you have migraines as well they are not related to it but one person many have more than one type of headache.

Migraines are often triggered by stress and the pain and stiffness you experience from your cervical spine is certainly stressful, which perpetuates the cycle of migraines and headaches.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am not sure what this means? Do you think my migraines are related to the issue with my neck.

It means if you truly have migraines, they are not related to your neck problems but you probably have cervicogenic headaches, which can be mild to severe.

If by "migraine" you mean you have severe headaches, I understand what you meant.

Migraine is a specific type of headache and there are specific criteria used to diagnose them.

One patient can have more than one type of headache means that a person can have cervicogenic headaches caused by neck problems and migraines.

I noticed you read my answer a while ago and did not write any further questions.

You also did not accept my answer.

Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, I would appreciate if you clicked Accept.

Thank you.