Ask California Pediatric Neurologist Your...
California Pediatric Neurologist
California Pediatric Neurologist, Pediatric Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  4 years experience, board certified in pediatrics, neurology, and clinical neurophysiology

My husband had severe dementia and I was his only caregiver.

My husband had severe dementia and I was his only caregiver. I had a TIA that everyone suspects was caused by stress. My husband has since passed away. My neurologist is giving me medication to control my blood pressure. I had bleeding in my brain and numbness in my right hand and could not talk for very short periods. I was in the hospital for 5 days and was given no medicine. When I was released I was given Dylantin for seizures. I felt just great. I was on blood pressure medicine also, I still felt great except I had some hi blood pressure problems. Now my new neuroligist has me on different medicine that seems to control my BP but I am not myself. I can't concentrate, I forget things, I cant exercise without problems and I'm really unhappy. I felt well in the hospital and when I was released until all the medicine. I've never taken any medicine except for colds etc. I don't know where to turn. I'm an expert bridge player and I can no longer concentrate. What blood pressure is safe? I've never worried about my health before and now every day is worrisome. I think I'm on too many drugs and I can't function.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  California Pediatric Neurologist replied 6 years ago.
There are many classes of blood pressure medications: Ace inhibitors (lisinpril is one example, and ramapril) Beta blockers - atenolol calcium channel blockers - verapamil acetazolamide - diuretics or "water pills" Sometimes it takes trial and error to find the right class of medication, or medication within a certain class. If Blood pressure (BP) medications are lowering your BP too much, it can make you feel drowsy and without energy. sometimes, lowering the dose to try to get a normal blood pressure can help. another sign of low BP is lightheadedness if standing up too fast. Talk you your doctor about adjusting your dose. Simvastatin should not be responsible for those symptoms. Write me back if you have more questions regarding this.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I need to know how high a normal blood pressure would be. I'm 76 years old and I have no idea what is safe.
The upper limit for the top number - systolic is 140. The upper limit for the lower number - diastolic is 90. above those is considered high blood pressure (hypertension). The lower limit really depends on the individual. Some people tolerate very low blood pressures have have no symptoms. 100/50 can be considered low, and it sounds like you are having symptoms from it. Your doctor should be able to lower your dose slightly to help you. A typical range for blood systolic is 90-140, and diastolic 60-90. a typical blood pressure is 110/70