Ask California Pediatric Neurologist Your...
California Pediatric Neurologist
California Pediatric Neurologist, Pediatric Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  4 years experience, board certified in pediatrics, neurology, and clinical neurophysiology

greater likelihood the connection between the neurons will grow

I am working on a hypothetically proposal that is based on the integration of Nanotechnology and Neurosurgery. My main point of the paper is based on the Hebb's theory, which states that the greater a stimulus is repeated; the greater likelihood the connection between the neurons will grow stronger. Furthermore, if the subject will repeated learns new information; it there is a greater likelihood that this information would be transfered from short-term memory to long-term memory. By using his theory, I propose that by implanting a nano-chip in the hippocampus will increases the electrical stimulation and enable the individual to learns new information at faster rate
Is it possible for a neurosurgeon to safely implant a nano-chip in the hippocampus region and be used to increase the electric charge so that the hippocampus would work more efficiently?
Hello. It is possible to implant stimulators in any part of the brain, but the risk of causing problems would likely outweigh the benefit. Over-excitement of the hippocampus is believed to be part of the problem that some epileptics have in temporal lobe epilepsy called mesial temporal sclerosis. Over time this over excitement may cause scarring and shrinkage (atrophy) of the hippocampus. Electrical stimulation is being used in trials of a device called Neuropace to shock cortical regions of the brain (not the hippocampus) responsible for epilepsy in order to disrupt the signal causing the seizure. Your theory of increasing excitement to cause neurons to connect is interesting (and quite exciting). Excitement causing connections is called long term potentiation, and involves NMDA receptors. But I would be concerned for the possibility of causing too many over excitable connections that would lead to epilepsy.