Ask Dr. Sophie :: Neurology Your Own Ques...

Dr. Sophie :: Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Neurology, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology, Clinical Neurophysiology :: U of California
19824690

have lower back pain on my right side below my waist line.

have lower back pain on my right side below my waist line. It hurts to get after sitting for a long time. My right leg at the knee is also stuff when I bend it. Can these two things be related? What can be the cause of the lower back pain? Until I can get in to see a doctor what can I do to help
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Sophie :: Neurology replied 4 years ago.

How long has it been going on?

Does the pain in your lower back radiate anywhere, or does it stay in your back?

Does your knee feel stiff if you've been sitting for some time? Any pain or swelling in your knee?

Any numbness, tingling or weakness?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My back has actually been bothering me now for about a pain. It was not persistent pain until recently. The pain in my back in isolated to one specific area only. When I sit for a long time it hurts when I get up. The pain has just now started to be more frequent. My knee does feel stiff after sitting and hurts more when it is in the bent position vs. my leg being straight. No numbness in and around my knee.

If the pain in your back is localized to one area and if it tends to worsen with sitting - that points to a musculoskeletal cause. The good news is that it is not radiating down your leg which would mean you have a pinched nerve in the lumbar region, either due to a bulging disc or narrowing of the nerve exit opening from arthritis.
The best treatment for this type of pain is heat - as you are already doing, OTC anti-inflammatory medications such as naproxen or ibuprofen (you may require 600-800mg of ibuprofen in one dose, max you can take safely is 3200mg in a 24 hr period) and very importantly - therapeutic massage. Massage, as well as warm bath will relax the tense muscles and NSAID will reduce inflammation in aggravated ligaments.
Stretching your back and frequently shifting and changing position will take away the persistent tension on the overworked area. Acupuncture can also be helpful.

Once you see your doctor, if the pain is still there, she or he can inject anesthetic and corticosteroid right into the painful area. The anesthetic will take the pain away immediately, and the corticosteroid will start working more long term after a couple of days.

The stiffness in your knee and pain with bending is most likely due to osteoarthritis. The stiffness that comes on with prolonged sitting is called "gel phenomenon" and is present both in osteo- and rheumatoid arthritis, and it is actually very common. However, if you don't have swelling in your joints, it is unlikely that you have rheumatoid arthritis. You probably should get an X-ray of your knee once you see your doctor.

I hope this helps.
Experience: Neurology, Clinical Neurophysiology :: U of California