Ask California Pediatric Neurologist Your...
California Pediatric Neurologist
California Pediatric Neurologist, Pediatric Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  4 years experience, board certified in pediatrics, neurology, and clinical neurophysiology

I just left the hospital whereas they performed a CT scan,

I just left the hospital whereas they performed a CT scan, MRI scan and an ultrasound of the brain.
I went in with optical neuritis(sp?) in the left eye,severe burning and tingling in my hands and feet and an overall feeling of body numbness. My senses were not working accurately and I have been very confused lately.
They said I had TIA and gave me the prescription Neurontin....what does this mean and where do I go from here?
My symptoms are VERY real and have not gone away.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  California Pediatric Neurologist replied 6 years ago.
Optic neuritis can be the first sign of multiple sclerosis. FOr the first episode, MRI and CT scan may come out normal. It may need to be repeated over time. To make this diagnosis, a spinal tap (lumbar puncture) is necessary to look at markers of the disease (myelin basic protein and oligoclonal bands). Visual evoked potential is a test that can confirm optic neuritis. Tingling in both hands and feet are not common signs of MS. MS is most common in women in their 20's-40's and rarer after 60. TIA by definition has symptoms that resolve over time, so if your symptoms are still there, it is not a TIA. Strokes would not cause optic neuritis, and rarely symptoms like burning. Neurontin can help with pain that comes from nerves, and can be helpful in MS (multiple Sclerosis)