Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

leg pain from buttocks down back of legs around knees and shins

leg pain from buttocks down back of legs around knees and shins to ankles. Intermittent and not always in the same place. Have had for about a week. Am a 63 yr. old female. Hurts the same w/ or w/out excersise. Does not bother me at night when sleeping.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Does this type of pain worsen, the longer you walk?

Have you ever had imaging of your lower back? (e.g. lumbar spine)
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No pain is the same.....have been using the treadmill and pain stays the same. Have not had imaging....but several years ago was told I had a degenerating disc. Also this pain came on suddenly last Sunday around my left knee and has spread to different areas. Sometimes feels like burning or pins and needles.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.

The characteristics of your pains -- with the pins and needles, and burning -- that travel from the back down the buttocks and legs -- is suggestive of lumbar stenosis.

This is when the lumbar spinal canal, the area for your nerves in the lower back, becomes more narrowed and starts to put pressure on the nerves that go to your legs. As this becomes more narrow, you start to have pains that radiate down the legs.

At this point, you would benefit from going to your doctor for an exam, and getting a MRI of the lumbar spine for diagnosis.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your suggestion. I will see my Dr. this week. Could either MS or ALS fit into this category???
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Not typically.

MS would often be episodic in nature, coming on over days, then resolving over weeks. ALS tends to start off as muscle twitching and then weakness.

Your pains sound very much like the nerves in your lower back are being irritated from something in your lower back.