John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.
62809984

I have a Yamaha baby grand N57729 No. 20. I bought it about

Customer Question

I have a Yamaha baby grand N57729 No. 20. I bought it about 20 years ago and it had been redone at that time. I'm trying to find out what it is worth.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for your question. Welcome to JustAnswer, it will be my pleasure to help you. My name is***** can work on this for you now with a little more information.

The serial number gives a year of build of 1954. Has your piano been regularly tuned and maintained?

Do you know what work was done before you purchased? Had all or any of the internal mechanics been replaced or restored? Also if you have any pictures, particularly of the internal mechanics which you could attach on here using the paperclip or the +Add button on the menu bar in the reply section, that would be very helpful.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was completely redone in 93. every part I of it. I tried to add the pics, let me know if it worked.

Thanks for the info and pictures. I will complete the research and come back to you in about 30 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

From the Yamaha serial number listings your piano was built in 1954 so it is over 60 years old. However, the total rebuild/restoration in 1993 will have reset the clock quite considerably. That said, there will be some depreciation from then due to age and usage to consider.

Yamaha have a particularly good reputation for making a very good range of quality pianos and thus their second-hand prices hold up quite well.

From that which I can see in the pictures you attached, the condition is very good and assuming that it has been regularly tuned and maintained, with the information I have, together with the information you have provided, I believe that your Yamaha Baby Grand Piano now has a value in the $6,500 to $8,500 range for a private sale.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with a great service and receive a 5 star rating but at least 3 is preferable; therefore I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click the ‘STAR RATING’ or the 'RATE TO FINISH’ or ‘SUBMIT’ button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only. Also by completing the rating star system it will stop the continual rating reminder emails you would receive from this site.

If you are disappointed in the value given ‘please do not shoot the messenger’, I can only give you a value based on the current markets and a reflection of the same or very similar sales. Many thanks and if you need any more help or explanations on the value I have given please contact me before you complete the rating.

Hello again Sheryl. I see that you have viewed my answer to your question but not yet completed the question process. So may I ask if you need any further help? If you do not have any further points that need to be answered on this question, I would be very grateful if you could please click on the Star Rating button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top of this page as that is the only way that this site gives me credit for the research I have completed to answer your question. Thank you. John.