Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

What is the value of a Wm. Knabe 1941 Grand Piano with

Customer Question

What is the value of a white Wm. Knabe 1941 Grand Piano with player piano box attached? Serial number 126098
JA: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you. Is there anything else the Musical Instrument Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: Player piano with scrolls and still works.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 1 month ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Could you comment on mechanical and cosmetic condition? When was it last tuned?

Do you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Overall, cosmetically it's in good shape. The keys are dirty but other than that, it looks good. I'm not sure when the last time it was tuned but we put the scrolls on and played it recently and it sounds good. It needs to be tuned I'm sure.

Thanks for the information!

I did confirm through Knabe serial records that this piano was built in 1941 as you were aware of. Knabe was one of the larger US piano builders and was well known throughout most of the 20th century. They have, however, since gone out of business, though you may find some Asian built pianos which use this name.

It's important to consider condition and age when valuing a used piano. With this piano being 75 years old, it will have lost most of its value based on appraisal standards. I'm glad to hear it still works and the player action works. A potential buyer of a piano like this may or may not be interested in its ability to act as a player. I find many people are looking for a used baby grand at a good price and don't necessarily need the player function.

Based on your description of the piano and considering maker, size, age, condition and the used piano market today, I would recommend a selling range of approximately $2,000-$3,000 in a private sale, with final price determined by your local market, method of sale and actual condition. Best wishes!
Please select a positive rating before leaving--this is how the website credits me for my time working with you. If you have any follow up questions, please let me know. Thanks so much for letting me help you with this!

Hi, just checking to make sure you received my answer and see if you need anything else? Please do be sure to select a positive rating (3 stars or more) as I am not credited for my work unless you do so. Thank you again!