Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

We are considering purchasing a Nordiska upright console

Customer Question

Hello. We are considering purchasing a Nordiska upright console piano, serial number ND01687. I have been unable to find out anything about this piano, other than a few references to Nordiska on some piano websites. It has a beautiful sound, and is a stunning piano, and the dealer is asking $3200 for it. Any information you can provide would be appreciated!
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for your question. Did the dealer tell you how old it was or if it is new or used?
Hi, are you still there?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The dealer said it was used. A trade, I believe. He thought it was 16 years old or so, but he wasn't sure.
Ok. I'm looking into this now.
Thanks for your patience!
These pianos were originally made in Sweden though since 1988 they have been made by the Dong Bei piano group in China. Most of the pianos which come out of there are low priced low quality instruments. This is also an example of a "stencil piano" where a company builds a piano but slaps somebody else's name on it to get more money for it.
Console pianos work well for homes and small rooms due to their smaller size. They're usually between 40"-44" in height.
If the piano sounds and feels good to you then that's a major consideration. However, the amount they want is way too much. I'm sure they're offering free delivery and a warranty but those don't add up to the difference in price. I would recommend a price half of what they want and I doubt they would be willing to go that low. My advice is to try local private sales where you can get a better piano for less. Best wishes!
Please select a positive rating before leaving. This is how the website credits me for working with you. Thanks!
Hi, checking to make sure you got my answer ok. Do you have any follow up questions? If not, please select a positive rating for me before leaving. This is how the website credits me for working on this appraisal. Thanks!