twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

Value of a Leonard & Co. piano build in 1920's

Customer Question

Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
In addition, the dimensions are roughly 59" front to back, 55" at widest part and about 40" tall.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The piano has been owned by the same family for 47 years. They have played it all of these years. There is a small crack in the soundboard. I am not sure if the ribs are at all separated from the board.
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 7 days ago.

Hello Penny,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help. I have some questions for you:

What is the serial number of this piano?

Has it been regularly tuned?

Aside from the cracked sound board, has it had any professional restoration?

Here is some help in finding the serial number:

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I don't have the serial number. As I have just been corresponding with the person who currently owns it. I will be seeing it this weekend.
I don't believe it has had any professional restoration. the board
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 7 days ago.

Okay - let's just assume it was built in the early 1920s.

Old pianos have no value just for being old. In other words, prospective buyers are not collecting pianos; they want to be able to play them. Pianos have parts that wear out and must be replaced, and a piano that hasn’t been regularly tuned will not hold a tuning. So, old pianos are at a disadvantage in the market.

Pianos are valued heavily on age after other factors like style, maker and condition. Age will tell you what kind of wear the piano would have mechanically. Even if the outside looks good the internal mechanisms are likely only in fair condition.

So, the piano you re looking at is not actually a good "buy". You'll have to put more money into repairing the sound board and any other parts that have worn out than the piano is worth.

It's free because no one will buy it because of its condition. If you just want a piece of furniture, then go get it. But, if you are thinking of having anyone ever play it, it's not a good idea to take it.

It's current value is approximately $50 - $100.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Penny.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. Please click the five stars above, and then click the green button. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

Expert:  twinb1201 replied 5 days ago.

Hi Penny,

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about your item?

Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com; experts are verified users. Experts are only compensated when and if you, the customer, leaves a favorable rating.

Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) at no extra cost to you.

Thanks!