Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.
53729464

I have a stock, I have a Steck Aeolian piano. How do I find

Customer Question

I have a George stock
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I have a George Steck Aeolian piano. How do I find its worth? Where do I fin the serial number?
JA: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Is there anything else the Musical Instrument Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: The piano resided with my dad's stunt in NYC for many years. We inherited it when I was young about 30 years ago. A couple of the keys are not working. It doesn't stay tuned for long.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for your question. Welcome to JustAnswer, it will be my pleasure to help you. My name is***** am working on this for you now.

Approximately when was your piano last tuned and maintained?

Have any of the internal mechanics been replaced or restored over the years or is it all still as originally built?

The serial number is ***** inside stamped or written on the wooden sound board, on the iron frame or on the plank near the tuning pins. Have a look at this website which should help:- www.pianoatlas.com/serial.html
Piano manufacturers place serial numbers in a variety of places. Pianos often have numbers other than serial numbers, such as case, part numbers and Patent numbers but this does not give the detailed information needed for individual pianos. Try this site and it should open showing you the places to find the right Serial number which should allow me to correctly date your piano.

Also if you have any pictures, particularly of the internal mechanics which you could attach on here using the paperclip or the +Add button on the menu bar in the reply section, that would be very helpful.