Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.
53729464

Is this free? OK, I'll keep that in mind. How much is it

Customer Question

is this free?
JA: The Musical Instrument Appraiser's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: OK, I'll keep that in mind. How much is it exactly?
JA: It's only $5.
Customer: OK I guess I can do that.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I don't think this piano is very valuable. I bought it used ten year ago for $500. It is a Kimball upright piano - studio style - 45&1/2 inches tall. In good condition. The serial number is *****
JA: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Is there anything else the Musical Instrument Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: No, nothing special like that. It is kind of cute though. Very solid (I guess all old pianos are solid). It has never been stored - always in climate control.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for your question. Welcome to JustAnswer, it will be my pleasure to help you. My name is***** can work on this for you now.

Looking at the text above it may be that there is a misunderstanding - the $5 is the initial deposit. The cost of receiving the full appraisal that has been allocated on this website, of which as an independent expert I just receive a percentage for my time and expertise in completing the necessary research to give you a full appraisal to your satisfaction, is $36. So may I confirm that you wish to proceed on this basis please?

If you would like me to continue with this work I need a little more information please:-

Has your piano been regularly tuned and maintained?

Have any of the internal mechanics been replaced or restored over the years or is it all still as originally built?

Also if you have any pictures, particularly of the internal mechanics which you could attach on here using the paperclip or the +Add button on the menu bar in the reply section, that would be very helpful.

Hello again. It seems that you viewed my information request, so I am following up to see if you need any further help on this question please? If you would like me to complete the work I have started for you and continue with the appraisal to give you a valuation please let me know. If it is a problem with getting the pictures and putting them on here, I can continue without them if that is easier for you. Thank you. John.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello, Yes........... I was a little put off by the fact by my initial contact at justanswer.com told me it was $5 and certainly made no indication that it was just a deposit. Please just keep my file as is for the moment. I am going out of town for two weeks, and then it is Thanksgiving so I won't be able to respond until after all that. Thank you.

Thank you for coming back to me. I fully understand your concerns. When you are ready to continue please come back to this question on here. You will probably find that it has closed automatically but you can reactivate it please by completing the reply section when you are ready. Best wishes. John