twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

Iivers and pond baby grand. Serial number 628321 worth?

Customer Question

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 month ago.

Hello Matthew,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help. I've been appraising pianos for almost thirty years.

The serial number indicates that your piano was built in 1918.

Has this piano been regularly tuned? Has it had internal restoration?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it's tuned. A little rough because it's a 100 years old! But I currently take lessons on it.
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 month ago.

Has it been regularly tuned? Has it had any internal restoration? What do you mean by "a little rough"? Just trying to get a handle on its current condition.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would say fair condition.
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 month ago.

I guess I Just have to assume that it hasn't had any internal restoration or been regularly tuned.

Old pianos have no value just for being old. In other words, prospective buyers are not collecting pianos; they want to be able to play them. Pianos have parts that wear out and must be replaced, and a piano that hasn’t been regularly tuned will not hold a tuning. So, old pianos are at a disadvantage in the market.

Pianos are valued heavily on age after other factors like style, maker and condition. Age will tell you what kind of wear the piano would have mechanically. Even if the outside looks good the internal mechanisms are likely only in fair condition.

If it is in very good condition, the current retail (replacement or insurance) value of your piano is approximately $1,500. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount or $600, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Matthew.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. Please click the five stars above, and then click the green button. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 month ago.

Hi Matthew,

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about this item. I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you.