twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser, Researcher
Experience:  Classically trained musician with more than 20 years experience appraising musical instruments.
57035021

I have an upright piano. Number engraved on back of piano is

Customer Question

I have an upright piano. Number engraved on back of piano is 69525. Foster & Co. been in family for over 50 years. Has not been tuned in 20 years. Needs some work. Few chips on ivory keys. How much might it be worth. Grandmother purchased for my mom, used. Was told at that time that it was built initially as player piano and restored to regular.
JA: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. It's only $5. Is there anything else important you think the Musical Instrument Appraiser should know?
Customer: No
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

Old pianos have no value just for being old. In other words, prospective buyers are not collecting pianos; they want to be able to play them. Pianos have parts that wear out and must be replaced, and a piano that hasn’t been regularly tuned will not hold a tuning. So, old pianos are at a disadvantage in the market.

Pianos are valued heavily on age after other factors like style, maker and condition. Age will tell you what kind of wear the piano would have mechanically. Even if the outside looks good the internal mechanisms are likely only in fair condition.

If it is in good cosmetic condition, the current retail (replacement or insurance) value of your is approximately $600. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount or $240, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. Please click the five stars above, and then click the green button. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!