John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.
62809984

Value of w.p. haines spinet 130732. Cabinet excellent

Customer Question

Value of w.p. haines spinet 130732.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: Cabinet excellent condition
JA: Is there anything else the Musical Instrument Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: Had it checked out. Everything is tight. Just needs tuned
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for your question. Welcome to JustAnswer, it will be my pleasure to help you. My name is***** am working on this for you now.

Has your piano previously been regularly tuned and maintained? Can you please confirm the full height measured from the floor to the top of the closed top lid.

Have any of the internal mechanics been replaced or restored over the years or is it all still as originally built?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

John, the piano is as originally built, no restorations.

It has not been internally maintained but has been sitting in a living room rarely having been used for approximately 10 yrs. The keys and outer appearance is excellent.

I believe the height is 38". The accompanying bench is 20".

Thank you.

Thank you for your patience.

Based on the serial number you have given your piano was built in 1935. At 38 inches high it is a larger Spinet and is quite an early piano of this type, now being in the order of 80 years old.

Generally Pianos have a limited life span of around 60 years mainly due to the wear during use and natural deterioration of the mechanical parts over time, such as the action, the strings, the soundboard, the tuning pins, the pin block, etc. The life of these instruments can often be extended by careful regular maintenance/tuning/repairs and some restoration over the years or a total re-build/restoration of the major mechanical components. Thus one of the overriding factors in any appraisal valuation is the age and condition of the internal mechanics. Added to this is the fact that with this being a spinet it is quite a compact size and thus has a small soundboard which can restrict the volume and quality of sound produced. This size of piano is no longer made as it has been superseded by larger better sound producing uprights.

Therefore with the information I have and that which you have supplied, I believe your W.P. Haines & Co. Spinet Piano has a value in the $400 to $600 range for a private sale.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with a great service and receive a 5 star rating but at least 3 is preferable; therefore I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click the ‘STAR RATING’ or the 'RATE TO FINISH’ or ‘SUBMIT’ button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only. Also by completing the rating star system it will stop the continual rating reminder emails you would receive from this site.

If you are disappointed in the value given ‘please do not shoot the messenger’, I can only give you a value based on the current markets and a reflection of similar sales. Owners of musical instruments often have a very sincerely ***** ***** that their ‘pride and joy’ is particularly valuable and sometimes it is, but musical instruments unfortunately generally depreciate with age. Many thanks and if you need any more help or explanations on the value I have given please contact me before you complete the rating.