Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

How much is a Wegman est1892 player piano worth, I have a

Customer Question

How much is a Wegman est1892 player piano worth
JA: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I have a solid mahogany upright player piano with seat and 150 rolls It is by Wegman EST.1892
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Musical Instrument Appraiser should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for your question! I have completed thousands of musical instrument appraisals and will be happy to help with yours.

Upright player pianos from this era are pretty neat instruments. This period was rich in player piano production as the new technology unfolded and as people were looking for new methods of entertainment. They were built in high numbers up until the great depression when this type of piano and piano building in general slowed dramatically.

In regard to value, it's important to know that pianos are valued not as antiques, but as mechanical instruments which decline in condition over time. For this reason, old upright players are valued much less than a comparable new piano. In addition, the high number of used pianos on the American market keeps prices low. That said, fully restored pianos can be worth much more than one in original shape.

Based on your description of the piano and its condition, and including the 150 rolls in the sale, I would recommend a private party value of approximately $500-$1,000. This assumes good playing condition and no major issues mechanically or cosmetically. Best wishes!
Please take just a moment to select a positive rating for me before leaving. This is how the site knows your request is complete and how I'm credited for my time with you. You can still reply to me after rating if need be. Thanks!