Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

Can you tell me if my Sohmer & Co 1876 Concert Grand in

Can you tell me if my Sohmer & Co 1876 Concert Grand in Rosewood holds any value. It is in remarkable condition, all original. I am looking to sell and have no idea the value -- it has a serial number of 12359#11
JA: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Is there anything else important you think the Musical Instrument Appraiser should know?
Customer: It looked like one that was in the Library of Congress -- Not sure how many of these were made.
Hi, any photos available of it you can attach here?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just attached several
Thank you. Can you actually tell me the length of the piano on the long end? It doesn't appear to be a concert grand.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am sorry I don't know. I will have to measure I believe it is 9 feet
Thanks that would be helpful. Value changes based on size and I want to make sure I give you good information.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok will be later tonight when I get home. Thanks

Hi, just checking back to see if you were able to measure yet? No hurry--as soon as you have the info I can work on completing this for you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh my goodness. I flat forgot. I was so busy with a meeting this morning I forgot to measure. It will be tonight and I will send as soon as I get home. Thanks for your patience.

Ok, no problem. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is 7 foot Grand

Sorry for the delay--thank you for measuring the piano! As I thought, it is not a full 9' grand, though a 7' semi-concert grand is still a wonderful instrument with a nice large size.

If the number you listed above "12359" is the serial, then this piano was built by Sohmer in 1885. It has a beautiful case with the carved legs that you just don't see any longer. Even though there are no specific photos showing the inside, I can see there appears to be significant wear, possibly even rust, on the strings and pins. This is consistent with a piano this old. Often times, old pianos are restored back to like-new condition which is a costly process but improves value significantly. This piano, as you mentioned, is original and unrestored.

In regard to current value, Sohmer pianos were fairly average American made instruments. The company, like many others, has been out of business for many years now. As I said earlier, the large size, lovely case and carved legs are great things and add value well above that of a baby grand. Based on your info and the photos as well as the used piano market today, I would recommend a selling range (private party) of approximately $4,500-$6,500. Expect to take less if sold to a dealer or other third party. I hope this info helps--best wishes and best of luck in your sale!