AppraisalExpert, Professional Appraiser
Experience:  Member International Society of Appraisers

My schimmel piano is in excellent condition and 33 years old

Customer Question

my schimmel piano is in excellent condition and 33 years old from Germany originally.
Its time to sell this historical piece how can I get it appraised?
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Can you give me an estimated price on this piano? Do you need more pictures or any more other info.
Here is the serial number 241247.
Expert:  AppraisalExpert replied 25 days ago.

Thanks for the note! The serial number indicates that your piano was made between 1984 and 1985 and are still considered among the better pianos and with tuning and adjustments are well-suited for today's playing. Yours appears to be in great condition and while it retails for much more, Pianos are much like used cars in that the value is always highest in the showroom and then depreciates. Similar pianos to yours in good condition sell at the $2,800 to $4,500 level, depending on the local market (pianos are hard to ship) and the condition and sound of it.

From ConcertPitchPiano: "The Schimmel Piano Co. was established in 1885 by Wilhelm Schimmel in Neuschonefeld (near Leipzig),
Germany. The company built high quality upright, grand and player pianos, and with quick growth, a larger
factory was built in 1897 in Leipzig-Stoetteritz. Wilhelm retired in 1927, and his son became president of the
firm, while is brother managed the retail store in Leipzig. In the late 1920s due to the Great Depression, a
group of piano manufacturers formed a co-op and production facilities moved to Braunschweig, Germany.
The Schimmel Piano Co. left the co-op in 1931 and continued operations in Braunschweig as the Wilhelm
Schimmel Pianofortefabrik GmbH. In 1961 Nikolas Wilhelm Schimmel, the third generation member of the
company, took control, and acquired the May Pianofortefabrik of Berlin by 1967. Nikolas Wilhelm Schimmel
was known as a true innovator, crafting many different designs and art case pianos of the highest quality.
By 1980 their modern production facilities were completed, with new woodworking facilities specializing in
cabinet parts and wooden components for piano and furniture industries added by the late 1990s. Nikolas
Wilhelm Schimmel retired in 2003, and Hannes Schimmel-Vogel (husband of Viola Schimmel) became
president, now representing the fourth generation of family management and ownership. In 2003 the
company acquired a piano restoration factory in Kalisz, Poland where it started to manufacture the Vogel
brand, a moderately priced line named after the president of the company. This line was then replaced by
the Wilhelm Schimmel brand in 2013. Some pianos bearing the name Meyer were exported to the USA until
supply of those instruments were exhausted. In 2007, Schimmel began importing an entry-level piano series
made in China under the May Berlin label, a name long owned by Schimmel but not recently used. May
Berlin pianos were discontinued by the end of 2012. In 2014, Schimmel selected Young Chang North
America to manufacture the Fridolin piano (named after Fridolin Schimmel, younger brother of founder,
Wilhelm Schimmel) exclusively for Schimmel dealers, replacing the price point of the previous May Berlin
model. Schimmel has been a pioneer of piano manufacturing in Europe, now using state-of-the-art
computer engineering software and machinery combined with handcrafted attention to detail."

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Thank you for your responds . This is the estimate I figured for my piano .I was 11 when my grandmother bought the piano for me So it had to be before 1984 .
Thank you again
Expert:  AppraisalExpert replied 24 days ago.

Thank you and I appreciate the kind words. However, please rate my professionalism using the one to five star rating system Just Answer provides. It is the only way that I get credit for answering your question.

Expert:  AppraisalExpert replied 21 days ago.

Following-up one final time.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars and bonus gives me the best rating.