Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA. http://pianoappraiser.weebly.com/
21042015

I have a Sohmer Grand with two different numbers. In the

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
I have a Sohmer Grand with two different numbers. In the middle is 77E and to the left is KJMIG 0054. HOW MUCH IS THIS PIANO WORTH? THANKS!
Amy
JA: I love the notion of my brother's old guitar having a history and belonging to someone famous. Maybe you have something valuable or historical. Let's find out. Tell us what else you do know and the Musical Instrument Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I bough it new (at least I thought I did). I don't. Remember the year but best guess is 8 to 10 years. I have to downsize and need the most that I can get. Just want what its. Worth and the other person be happy too. It is brown with pretty legs but have no words to describe them. It sounds beutiful
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Musical Instrument Appraiser should know?
Customer: The cabinet is in like new condition. I am the only owner. Its been cared for, its immaculate. It is time to tune but I thought since it will be moving it should be tuned again. Am I missing anything else?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for your question. Can you tell me the overall length (size) of the piano?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My piano is 5'9"..Thank You!

Thanks for the information!

In looking into this piano I find it was built by Samick in Korea around 2005. They used a strange methodology with their serial numbers so they can be kind of confusing. The list doesn't include KJM but does include a closer number that in my experience would be close to matching. Samick pianos are priced on the lower side compared to most other brands currently in production. They are considered discount pianos at retailers. That said, they can usually be good instruments for beginning to intermediate level players. At 5'9" this would be a good size for a home and have a better tone than a smaller baby grand.

Based on the age, maker, size, described condition and used piano market, I would recommend a selling value today of approximately $6,100-$6,900 in a private sale. Best wishes!

Please select a positive rating and submit before leaving. This completes your request here and credits me for my time. You can still reply to me for no additional charge after providing this rating. Thank you!

Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 4 months ago.

Hi, just checking back to see if you needed more help? I've completed your question at this time. If you are all set, please select a rating at the top and submit. This is how the site knows your inquiry is complete and also how I am paid for my time. Thanks again!