Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA.

There's a refinished Baldwin Hamilton baby grand serial

Customer Question

There's a refinished Baldwin Hamilton baby grand serial number 169067 on Craigslist that I am interested in. The outside has been refinished a nice black. The inside has been refinished with new strings, a new pin board, new pins, etc. The piano is missing its manufacturer's tag and the man who rebuilt it put Baldwin on the front instead of Hamilton. What would be a fair price to pay for the piano?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Pictures are attached.
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for your question. I'm looking into this now.

The serial number dates this piano back to 1957 based on Hamilton serial numbers. The Hamilton company was controlled by Baldwin, but was not Baldwin. So the name on front is misleading. Certainly the updates and work done to the piano help with value, but I would be surprised if a piano from the 50's needed a new pin board and pins. It appears to be in pretty good shape now based on the photos. I would strongly recommend an independent 3rd party come out and inspect the piano for you if you're considering buying to ensure quality of work done. As described, I would recommend a value range of approximately $5,500-$7,000. Best wishes!
Please select a positive rating before leaving--this is the only way I'm credited by the site for completing this for you. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What are you basing your numbers on? I have not seen any Hamiltons valued at such a high number especially if it's an unmarked piano. Unfortunately, you did not provide any information that I did not already have.

Ok, what information do you want? It doesn't matter that the piano is "unmarked" as we know what the instrument is. Please tell me how I can best help.