John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.
62809984

I am looking at a Baldwin baby grand (5 ft) in what appears

Customer Question

I am looking at a Baldwin baby grand (5 ft) in what appears to be very good condition. It is aproximately ten years old. What do you believe it is worth?
Regards,
Loretta
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for your question Loretta. Welcome to JustAnswer, it will be my pleasure to help you. My name is***** am working on this for you now.

Do you have the serial number please?

Has this piano been regularly tuned and maintained?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How can I get the serial number, will the dealer give it to me? I don't know the history. I do know that the dealer has tuned it.

Yes, the dealer should willingly give you the full serial number which may start with several letters, as it is the only way to be certain of the age of this piano.

If it has at least been recently tuned then that is fine.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is the serial number 56371

Hello.

From the maker's records the number of 56371 gives the original year of build of 1927, so that makes it nearly 90 years old.

Has it been fully re-built in the last 10 years as that would make a big difference? If so the dealer should be able to give you the details of all of the main mechanical parts which have been repaired or replaced such as strings, soundboard, pin plank etc. What price is the dealer asking? Did you take any pictures when you viewed it as those would be very helpful to see.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Absolutely not 90 years old

Fully rebuilt and recently refinished pianos can look very new. Serial numbers are like car registration numbers and relate directly to the year of build. If this piano is only about 10 years old it would have a 6 digit number beginning 38????

The records show for Baldwin Pianos as follows:-

- the first number for 2006 is 384472.

- the first number for 2007 is 385709

- the first number for 2008 is 386496

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Checked once more. Built by D H Baldwin. #56371

Hello Loretta.

Please be assured that I am trying to help you with this and ensure that you are not being sold an older piano being passed off as a nearly new piano. That said, if a piano, particularly with such a good name and quality history, has been recently fully rebuilt and refinished to a modern quality and finish standard it will be a very good instrument. Restorative work of this nature helps towards setting the depreciation time clock back towards zero.

I have checked again with other records and that serial number relates to 1927. Did the dealer give you this number, as pianos often have other numbers such as case and part numbers which can easily be mistaken for serial numbers.

If you are sure that it is only about 10 years old then I can just go ahead and give you the appraisal based on it being a 10 year old piano. Please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
For now give me answer on a 10 year old Baldwin 5 ft baby grand

Fine thanks. I will come back to you within the next 30 minutes with the appraisal.

Thank you for your patience Loretta.

A new Baldwin 5 ft Grand piano such as a BP152, currently sells at around $15,000 with various Dealer discounts

Based on this Baldwin Baby Grand being approximately 10 years old, it would now have a sales value in the region of $7,500 to $9,000.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with a great service and receive a 5 star rating but at least 3 is preferable; therefore I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click the ‘STAR RATING’ or the 'RATE TO FINISH’ or ‘SUBMIT’ button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only. Also by completing the rating star system it will stop the continual rating reminder emails you would receive from this site.

If you are disappointed in the value given ‘please do not shoot the messenger’, I can only give you a value based on the current markets and a reflection of the same or very similar sales. Many thanks and if you need any more help or explanations on the value I have given please contact me before you complete the rating.