John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.

Want to know what my piano is worth

Customer Question

Want to know what my piano is worth
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for your question. Welcome to JustAnswer, it will be my pleasure to help you. My name is***** am working on this for you now.

Could I have the name of your piano on the lid over the keys and the serial number which is usually stamped or printed on the soundboard or near the tuning pins please.

Has your piano been regularly tuned and maintained?

Have any of the internal mechanics been replaced or restored over the years or is it all still as originally built?

Also if you have any pictures, particularly of the internal mechanics which you could attach on here using the paperclip or the +Add button on the menu bar in the reply section, that would be very helpful.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Horace waters serial number 86401
Has been re built I purchased it in the late 60's it has not been tuned in years

Thank you for the information. Your piano was built in the 1920's. To complete this for you I need a little more information please.

Is this an upright or a grand piano? If it is an upright piano, what is the height from the floor to the top of the closed top lid? If it is a grand, what is the length measured from the outside edge of the wood along the front of the keys to the furthest edge of the top away from the keys over the leg.

Generally Pianos have a limited life span of around 60 years mainly due to the wear during use and natural deterioration of the mechanical parts over time, such as the action, the strings, the soundboard, the tuning pins, the pin block, etc. The life of these instruments can often be extended by careful regular, usually at least annually, maintenance/tuning/repairs and some restoration over the years or a total re-build/restoration of the major mechanical components. Thus one of the overriding factors in any appraisal valuation is the age and condition of the internal mechanics. So I need to know if the rebuilding was completed before you purchased it in the 60's or when, please?

Thank you.

Hello. I see that you have requested a Live Phone Call, I cannot do that right now but if you could let me know if your piano is an upright or a grand and when the rebuild was completed, I can complete the research for you and finish the appraisal I have started on here. Thanks. John

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Rebuilt in the60's and it's a baby grand

Thank you for the information. I will complete the research and come back to you on here with the appraisal.

Thank you for your patience.

The serial number records for this maker shows that your piano with the serial number 86401 was built in circa 1924, so your piano is about 92 years old.

As I mentioned before the expected life of a piano with normal usage is about 60 years due the deterioration of the parts with age and usage. Thus one of the overriding factors in any appraisal valuation is the age and condition of the internal mechanics. The restoration/rebuilding completed around 50 years ago will have reset the clock, so to speak, at that point but not back to zero. There will also be considerable depreciation since the rebuild.

Pianos which are not regularly tuned, even though they are not played much, if at all, can be at a disadvantage when selling because they may need a number of tunings over a few months to get them back into shape and to ensure the stability of the tuning.

Therefore based on the information I have and the details you have given, I believe your Horace Winter Baby Grand Piano now has a value in the $2,200 to $3,500 range for a private sale

Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with a great service and receive a 5 star rating but at least 3 is preferable; therefore I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click the ‘STAR RATING’ or the 'RATE TO FINISH’ or ‘SUBMIT’ button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only. Also by completing the rating star system it will stop the continual rating reminder emails you would receive from this site.

If you are disappointed in the value given ‘please do not shoot the messenger’, I can only give you a value based on the current markets and a reflection of the same or very similar sales. Owners of musical instruments often have a very sincerely ***** ***** that their ‘pride and joy’ is particularly valuable and sometimes it is, but musical instruments unfortunately generally depreciate with age and/or changes in technology. Many thanks and if you need any more help or explanations on the value I have given please contact me before you complete the rating.

Hello again. I see that you have viewed my answer to your question, so I am checking back with you to see if you need any more help on this question. I would be grateful if you could let me know. Thank you. John