Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.
53729464

I have a Steinway upright that based on the serial number

Customer Question

I have a Steinway upright that based on the serial number was manufactured in 1954. It has ivory keys. I completely restored it 4 years ago. i would like to get an idea of its value for my insurance.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Musical Instrument Appraiser should know?
Customer: Did someone receive my question?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for your question. My name is***** will work on this for you now and ask you to complete the star rating when you have a complete appraisal. Welcome to JustAnswer and it will be my pleasure to help you.

To do this, could you let me have the serial number or the age of your piano please? Has your piano been regularly tuned and maintained? Have any of the internal mechanics been replaced or restored over the years or is it all still as originally built? Also if you have any pictures, particularly of the internal mechanics which you could attach on here using the paperclip or the +Add button on the menu bar in the reply section, that would be very helpful, but if not I can continue without them if necessary. When I have this information I will come back to you.

Just to let you know that because invariably, to complete an appraisal on musical instruments, it requires considerable research in documents, files, records, books and on web pages, I do not therefore complete Live Phone Calls because it is not practical to do the research at the same time and often it requires you to find numbers and do measurements.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Serial number is ***** It's original and been completely restored and sounds beautiful. It's been regularly tuned and maintained in excellent condition.

Thank you for the information. Could I have a little more information on the restoration that was completed four years ago please. You have said that your piano is original, so was the complete restoration carried out on the outside casework only? If you could send me some pictures, particularly of the internal mechanics, which you could attach on here using the paperclip or the +Add button on the menu bar in the reply section, that would be very helpful. Thank you. John.