Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.

What is the ball park estimate of the value of a Steinway

Customer Question

What is the ball park estimate of the value of a Steinway Baby Grand piano purchased in 1985 in Detroit, Michigan; black satin finish; piano bench cover rises up; appr. 6 feet?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for your question Michele. My name is***** will work on this for you now and ask you to complete the star rating when you have a complete appraisal. Welcome to JustAnswer and it will be my pleasure to help you. I will come back to you with a reply soon.

To do this could you let me have the serial number or the age of your piano please? Has your piano been regularly tuned and maintained?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
HI John
The piano was purchased new in 1985. Don't have a serial number or rather don't know where to look for one. I bought the piano new. It unfortunately has not been regularly tuned and maintained.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please send a response by email. Thanks

Thanks for the information Michele. I can only respond on this website which will automatically send you an Email to say my replies are on here.

I can work on this appraisal based on the 1985 year but to find the original build date I would need the serial number. Please have a look at this website which should help:-
Try this site and it should open showing you the places to find the right Serial number which should allow me to fully date your piano.

Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. As I have not heard back from you, should I go ahead and complete the work I have started for you and continue with the appraisal based on your piano being built in 1985 to give you a valuation? Please let me know. Thank you. John.