Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.

I have a Horugel piano that we bought in about 1985 used.

Customer Question

I have a Horugel piano that we bought in about 1985 used. The serial # is 770127 and it also has Korea on it. The name is ***** ***** but in cursive on it and it also has an inspection sticker that says type 209-313, ins #(###) ###-####and inspected by but I cannot read the name. Some one is wanting to buy the piano and I want a fair price.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for your question. My name is***** will work on this for you now and ask you to complete the star rating when you have a complete appraisal. Welcome to JustAnswer and it will be my pleasure to help you. I will come back to you with a reply soon.

To do this, could you please tell me if this is a Grand or Upright Piano. If it is a Grand can you give me the full length measured from the outside edge of the wood along the keys to the furthest edge of the top lid away from the keys over the back leg. Has your piano been regularly tuned and maintained? Do you know the approximate age as the records for this maker are not very clear but I will do some more research.

Hello Marge. This is just to update you on some of the research so far. Horugel seem to have last produced pianos themselves in around 1952 with serial numbers with only 5 digits starting with 45. Some time after this the production of pianos with the name Horugel was then taken over by the Far Eastern Company Samick.

There are some individual Horugel numbers recorded from 1976 but they are very sparse.

It is possible that before and after 1976 Samick numbers were applied to Horugel Pianos as well. The first serial number you listed was 770127 which could be a Samick number and in the records from their Korean factory this would give a build year of 1986 which does not match your initial purchase date of 1985.

Could it be that your piano was built in 1986 and perhaps you bought it nearly new only one or two years later?

The 7 digit number starting with 71 has too many digits for it to be a Horugel or Samick number before 1986.

I look forward to hearing from you about this.

Hello again Marge. It seems that you viewed my information request, so I am following up to see if you need any further help on this question please? If you would like me to complete the work I have started for you and continue with the appraisal to give you a valuation please let me know. Thank you. John.