Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.

I picked up my grandmother's mandolin who has passed for

Customer Question

I picked up my grandmother's mandolin who has passed for over 30 years now. I can find no marks associated with the manufacture but there is a sticker in the cavity reading Wurlitzer since 1856. I was thinking of restoring it and put it back into use. I doubt if it has much value. If necesary I can forward photos of the device. Any history lessons here? Supposedly she use to play it at the many German beer gardens in Cincinnati (many do not know Cincinnati was a brewery capital at one time) as a young woman between 1910 - 20's. Thx, Tim
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable.
Customer: before I take it to get it restored I thought getting a little history and its value may determine just how much I want to sink into or none at all.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: I stumbled on a few blog sites claiming Wurlitzer was simply the distributor for a wide variety of biz' in Chicago. But knowing where my grandmother lived and her extermely meager life I doubt she ordered it from anywhere and for some reason I believe Wurlitzer was a Cincy company. Some of the blogs imply Martin actually built these for Wurlitzer but again, nothing on the stock or in the cavity with any serial numbers or indication its source.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 2 months ago.

Can you send a picture of this. Yes, the Wurlitzer company was a Cincinnati Ohio Company, you can read the history here: