Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.

I have found a very unusal Vintage Dulcimer in a free

Customer Question

I have found a very unusal Vintage Dulcimer in a free standing 4-legged ornate case. It is a Grand Concert hammered harp - chromatid w/two rows for low and high notes. 145 pins! w/the painted large circle inside lid that says "Caladonia Harp". The owner says that his ancestors brought it to the US from Scotland. ???? But the closest thing to it is in The Victoria and Albert Museum - Dulcimer - Italy - 1750. The owner is about 90 yrs old, and he believes it was made in the 2800's. The size is about 3 x 3 and the horizontal 'frettboard' is about 4' above the floor.
I have searched the internet at great length; can am still drawing a blank.
Any clues?
Benjamin *******
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  jennem22 replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is Jennifer.I"m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

If you can upload a photo, I'm happy to take a look for you. As detailed as your description is, I really do need to see an image.

Please note I don't work via phone call, but sometimes the system auto-sends a phone call request. If you get one of those,please ignore. I prefer to await online responses.

Please note that I can only appraise one item within this question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Update based upon my own research thus far. The previous owner's name is***** He is 87 yrs old - his wife died within the past few months, and he is in poor health. I am calling him today to take him to lunch, etc. to pick his brain.
I do have this updated info from antique store owner. Jerry said, "it was brought here from Ireland; and it was built in the 1800's". I have taken three indoor pictures of the cabinet and harp - which I can send via a message on my cell phone - or as an attachment to an email. I has three fretts. One - immediately after the screws that hold the strings. There are two additional fretts - the second frett is located just before the pins. There are four pins in each row. There are horizontal string holes under the first (high) frett for base string (I presume).There are two trapazoids under the strings - one larger (base notes) and a smaller one, similarly shaped for the upper octave. I think it is a three-octave chromatic harp.If I get any more information from Jerry, I will definite send it along. Ben
Expert:  jennem22 replied 2 months ago.

You can send photos to***@******.*** and ask them to forward to AppraiserJM. They need to be sent from the email account associated with your JustAnswer account.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi, re: my hammered Dulcimer. Unfortunately, I am challenged in terms of technology. I have some helpful information. An antique furniture person estimates by the ornate style of the legs that the instrument cabinet dates to c. 1870. It is apparently not true that the instrument was/or was not brought to this country by the owners ancestors from any specific country. So. I cannot determine where it was made. I have some pictures of the instrument on my phone, which I could send to you via a picture message. I can give you my personal email address: ***@******.***. My street address is*****, Inman, South Carolina - 29349, USA. I am sorry for the delay. Ben Godfrey
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is Glenda

I may be able to help you with this, I have appraised several Antique Dulcimer's in the past. Please send the images you have just like this, this is the only way I will get them forwarded to me.

Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.