Tyler, MM, AAGO
Tyler, MM, AAGO, Musician/Appraiser
Experience:  Master's degree in Music. Member, AOA.

I have a kohler and piano serial number 45476. Black

Customer Question

I have a kohler and Campbell piano serial number 45476. Black upright. Was left in a house I just purchased. Can you tell me anything about this piano?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Tyler, MM, AAGO replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for your question!

This piano was built by Kohler and Campbell in 1904 based on the serial provided. Unfortunately, existing records don't give any additional information on this number besides year built. At this age, I am assuming your piano is a tall upright, likely over 50" tall. This is really the only kind of upright built at the time and the large size allowed for a full sound. Smaller uprights built following the depression are inferior. I'm assuming they left the piano because they realized the value is very low. An old upright in good original condition is only worth a couple hundred dollars. If there are moderate or serious mechanical or cosmetic issues, the value of the piano would likely drop to $0. There's no good answer in restoration, as you'll end up putting more money into the piano than it will sell for, and because so many are on the market, there's no antique value or collector looking for one. Sorry for the bad news but hope this answer gives you some helpful info. Best wishes!

Please select a positive rating before leaving, as that's the only way the site credits me for working with you. Thanks!

Hi, I have completed your answer but haven't heard anything from you. Do you need any more help? If not, please close this out by selecting a positive rating and submit. This helps me out very much and also keeps us from sending any more automated emails asking for you to come back and rate me. Thanks very much!