Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.
53729464

I have a Gibson Les Custom S/N 836928 that I bought new when

Customer Question

I have a Gibson Les Paul Custom S/N 836928 that I bought new when I was a college student, around 1967 to 1969. Black, Mahogany body Ebony neck, gold hardware, pearl inlay headpiece and neck. S/N is stamped in the headpiece on top in the back. Confusing as serial number shown on line do not seem to match, yet I did buy this brand new at that time. List price then I do remember was $1,000, but since I worked at a music store I bought it at a discount of 50% less another 5% at $475. A lot of money to a college kid back then. How can I confirm its vintage and what is it worth now. Every thing works, super fast action, the white trim is now yellowed with age, No Large dents or scratches. ***@******.***
JA: After your first paid question, we offer a week's free trial membership when you can ask as many questions as you like. I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable.
Customer: What's it worth?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Musical Instrument Appraiser should know?
Customer: I played it in a rock band in the metro New York area in the late 60's early 70's.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is***** you for coming to Just Answer.
.
I will be glad to help you today.
.

I have been in the appraisal business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.
.
The Gibson Les Paul Custom S/N(###) ###-####1969, Mahogany Body, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $6***-**-****.00 depending on the condition and where it is for sale at.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.

You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great!
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.

Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this I would greatly appreciate it, clicking the top star on the top left of the page does this, thank you for taking time to rate this.If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
.
Let me know if you still need help with this question.
.
I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this.
.
I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda