John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.
62809984

I have a Steinway baby grand, excellent condition, my

Customer Question

I have a Steinway baby grand, excellent condition, my parents bought it in 1969. What is it worth now?
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for your question. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you. I will ask you to complete the star rating and payment process after I have completed the question for you.

Do you have a serial number please? Could I have the maximum length measured to the point over the leg furthest away from the keys? Has your piano been regularly tuned and maintained? Have any of the internal mechanics been replaced or restored over the years or is it all still as originally built?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I find two markings: T444 and 382333M -- is that the serial number? The top surface of the piano is 61" long; that does not include 5 1/2" for the keyboard. The piano has been regularly tuned and has not required any other maintenance other than cleaning. It is all still as originally built. It is played infrequently and the lids are usually kept closed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Does current location make a difference? We lived in New Jersey in 1969 but now the piano and I live in Cambridge, Ontario, an hour west of Toronto.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The case is mahogany. It had accumulated a few minor dings and scratches over the years, so after the move to Cambridge, I had a wood finish repair expert come to touch it up and now the finish has no marks whatsoever.

Thank you for your patience Elizabeth.

From the maker’s serial number records your Piano was built in 1964, so it is in the order of 52 years old. The dimensions you have given are consistent with your piano being a model M which has a full length of 5' 7''. These new are now in the region of 90,000 CAD

Generally Pianos have a limited life span of around 60 years mainly due to the wear during use and natural deterioration of the mechanical parts over time, such as the action, the strings, the soundboard, the tuning pins, the pin block, etc. The life of these instruments can often be extended by careful regular maintenance/tuning/repairs and some restoration over the years or a total re-build/restoration of the major mechanical components. The condition of the finish and location do have some influence on the value of a piano but the overriding factors in any appraisal valuation are the age and condition of the internal mechanics which depreciate with age and usage.

Outside casework can certainly help when selling as often pianos in reasonable to good condition more often than not sell by their perceived value.

Based on the information I have, I believe your Steinway Model M Baby Grand has a current value in the 29,000 CAD to 32,000 CAD range for a private sale. This range allows for some variations in location.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with a great service and receive a 5 star rating but at least 3 is preferable; therefore I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click the ‘STAR RATING’ or the 'RATE TO FINISH’ or ‘SUBMIT’ button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you. There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only. If you feel that I have ‘gone the extra mile’ which I always strive to do to give a comprehensive answer, then any bonus payment you give would be greatly appreciated.

If you are disappointed in the value given ‘please do not shoot the messenger’, I can only give you a value based on the current markets and a reflection of similar sales. Owners of musical instruments often have a very sincerely ***** ***** that their ‘pride and joy’ is particularly valuable and sometimes it is, but musical instruments unfortunately generally depreciate with age and use. Many thanks and if you need any more help or explanations on the value I have given please contact me before you complete the rating.