John,  CT ABRSM
John, CT ABRSM, Piano Teacher CT ABRSM.
Experience:  Certificate of Music Teaching. Musical Instrument Appraiser. Qualified Technician. Qualified Piano Tuner. Experienced in Buying, Selling, Restoring and Valuing Pianos for more than 20 years.
62809984

What is the year of manufacture of a Kohler & upright, 44

Customer Question

What is the year of manufacture of a Kohler & Campbell upright, 44 inch high, labeled Professional? The serial # is 786083, model # is 3060. The damper pedal (only) is non-functional & all keys work well and do not stick. Untuned, relative pitch is intact but absolute pitch is off. General condition: normal wear & tear for a 50 or 60 yr. old piano, not particularly well maintained. The cabinet should be refinished as well as a routine re-build for occasional light entertainment use by my 75 yr. old wife. I only paid $300 for it, with restoration in mind. This is not meant to be an heirloom!
Any guidance you can give towards finding a qualified repairman (in El Paso, Tx.) or elsewhere would be appreciated. If there is a guild of pianosmiths (like gunsmiths have) might be helpful. Time is not critical.
Thanks so much for your help,
Harold Block, M.D.
4
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  John, CT ABRSM replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for your question Harold. My name is***** will be a pleasure to help you. I will ask you to complete the star rating and payment process after I have completed the question for you.

I am looking in to this for you now and will come back to you with the information in about 30 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

From the maker's serial number records you piano was made in 1982, so it is around 34 years old and not quite as old as you perhaps thought. At 44 inches high it is classed as a Studio Piano

From the comprehensive information you have given it seems that it is in reasonable shape for its age and the amount you paid. Without seeing the condition of the hammers and other parts which can deteriorate with many hours of regular use, I cannot be sure but it may be that it has been well used in its past, which would perhaps account for the price and that some work may now need to be completed to bring it back in to full working order.

For the repair/restoration work please have a look at this website:- www.ptg.org which is the Piano Technicians Guild. On this site you should find someone, hopefully quite near to you.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. My aim is to provide you with a great service and receive a 5 star rating but at least 3 is preferable; therefore I trust that you have found this answer helpful. If so, please accept the answer and click the ‘STAR RATING’ or the 'RATE TO FINISH' button in the REQUEST DETAILS SECTION at the top, as this is the only way as an Independent Expert I receive any recompense for the research I do to assist you. There is no additional cost to you as my percentage of the payment for this question is taken from the amount you have agreed for this question only.

Many thanks and if you need any more help or explanations please contact me before you complete the rating.