Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antique Musical Instrument Appraiser
Experience:  30+ years of experience as an antique musical instrument appraiser. Member of Association of Online Appraisers.

I have an old violin in pretty rough shape. 't see any name

Customer Question

I have an old violin in pretty rough shape. Don't see any name or writing on it or in it or on the case. Wondering if it is worth anything.
Category: Musical Instrument Appraisal
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 2 months ago.

Hello Craig,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

Please use a flashlight to look into the interior of the violin and see if there is a label in there.

Also, please be more specific about the condition of this violin. What are its flaws?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No label inside. It is actually not in bad shape, it's just old. Obviously made by hand... with strings it would be playable.. two minor scratches where the bow hits the strings...everything is there..very fine inlay around perimeter of back, which is sycamore, or fiddle back maple. It's really just old and hand carved..actually, the scratches I just realized are where the bridge sits on the face when it's strung. I have pics....Thank you

Great! Please post your pictures.

Please see our help page for help uploading images.

Go to

1. Click "Computer".
2. Double click the image you want to upload.
3. Click "Start Upload".
4. When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.

If that doesn't work for you:

You can email the pictures to***@******.***, and ask them to forward the pictures to me. You must tell them the pictures are for the Antiques category, and give them your user name and mine, which is Judith-on-Antiques. It is important for you to send the email from the address with which you registered at Just Answer. If you are sending them from a phone, you must put the original email address in the text.